We were thrilled to welcome ArcDRL, Sidra Bell, and the JCC of Newton into our space this past Thursday for an Artists Talk. There was a conscientious and enthusiastic audience willing to get to the nitty gritty centered around Sidra’s work.
Kat Nasti (of ArcDRL) breaks it down:
Amazing discussion with Sidra Bell, Jewish Arts Collaborative, and Boston Dance Artists! Sidra is AMAZING . . .what a warm and beautiful person on top of being such an amazing artist. Favorite takeaways and fun facts:
1) When you don’t have an opportunity make your own opportunity – Keep Moving Forward.
2) Even Sidra gets some costumes at the Salvation Army:-)
3) The goal is to take care of the people, i.e. making decisions like establishing a smaller company to take care of the humans in the best possible way . . .time, pay, benefits, etc.
4) Outreach is an important part of the profile but the program needs to speak to you and be authentic
5) Sidra’s gorgeous pieces are a product of about four 4-hour rehearsals each week
6) Think about the costumes and lighting as soon as possible . . .along and as a part of the creation of the work
7) Sidra is an Aries
8) It takes a community to build a dance piece. . . accept help and be ready to give back. Time is a great way to give back, i.e. listen, mentor, teach, etc.
9) Don’t get hung up in language (words) that restricts growth and movement in the arts. “Branding is a word.”
10) When speaking or writing about your art . . .refine, edit, refine . .
Video documentation coming soon!