Studio@550 is proud to announce Creative Residency 2019. 550’s Creative Residency is a three-month artistic residency in which selected artists are awarded space, resources, and guidance at the Studio to develop their work. The aim of the Creative Residency is to meet working artists where they are, and to help support them with the resources they need to develop their work further. The space usage included in the residencies could include: rehearsal, classes, performances/events, community engagements, or something else.
Artists of all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Studio@550 is dedicated to individual disciplines and spaces where those disciplines intersect.
Examples for the use of the residency:
This residency aims to meet artists where they are in the development of their work and provide space support as the artists see fit. The objective of the residency is to reduce the financial burden of space rental so that the artists can spend more time in the development of their work. Examples of possible creative residency options include: A dance group or company who has a 2 hour open company class followed by a 2 hour rehearsal every week; A burgeoning curator runs 2-4 curated performances; A visual artist could use the space to hold figure drawing sessions in collaboration with a theatre, movement, or somatic artist; An artist who works with social engagement can use the space to hold community meetings to discuss issues in their community and how art can have impact. At the end of each residency round of 3 months (2 of the 4 artists having completed), there will be a celebration where all artists will be invited to show the work they are doing. Date TBA
Awarded artists will receive:
- $938 worth of space rental (which is approximately 60 hours of rehearsal, 15 hours of performance (in 5 hour blocks), 28 hours of classes or workshops)
- A yearly membership to Studio@550 (a $55 value)
- Resource sharing with the Studio in forms of mentorship, networking, and/or professional development components.
- Use of the Studio’s publicity platforms to showcase their work in process, during their residency, and at the completion of their residency
- Performance or showcase of the resident artists
Artists will be selected by a discipline-diverse panel of professional working artists. In their review, they will be asked to look at the following:
- Artistic quality
- Discipline (we aim to make sure that the three selected artists will be of different disciplines)
- How the work will effectively use the Studio and/or its network
- How the artists work reflects on the mission of Studio@550 in a positive and uplifting way
- How the artists and their work pushes boundaries within the context of the ever shifting art scene in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
- Community engagement
Residency dates are as follows:
April 1 – June 30
July 1 – September 30
October 1 – December 31
Application will be available February 1, 2019 and due March 3, 2019. Awarded artists will be notified March 9, 2019.
The application period has now closed. All applications will receive a response by March 9, 2019.
This program is supported in part by a grant from Cambridge Arts, a local agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency.