04/17/2021 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Join our panelists in a discussion about “SPACE” how they use it! How they create in in! How they think of it!
Discussion will happen on Zoom and is FREE to all!
This panel discussion is a part of a series diving into the world of “digital media integration”. What is that? You ask? Read on…
Digital media integration for performance creation
Choreographing a piece for in-person live performance (I know, yeah, someday)? Perhaps creating live work for online platforms (YouTube, Facebook Live, etc.)? Or, maybe you are curious about using existing technology to further your choreographic process (and never ever see digital media/projection in the final performance)?
As we enter into the world of new processes and platforms to present our work, how can we leverage existing technologies, lenses, practices to create live performance which augments our voice by integrating digital media. Dive into this world of projection, video art, streaming, and camera with Digital LIVE!
This workshop series is geared for performance creators (dance, theatre, music, etc.) as an introduction to the incorporation of utilizing digital media (ya know, cameras, projectors, streaming, etc.) into the way you create and present. Become familiar with where in your process you would integrate it, and how to allow for budget, collaborators, and production personnel.
Digital LIVE! Is built as a comprehensive weekly series with 3 intermediate panel discussions. Each session will dive into specific topics which do not require in-depth experience with technology (this isn’t made for nerds). It’s made for creators of performance like you! Much of this series is based off of questions YOU may have as well as your specific projects, so please do join even if you’re a bit afraid (I taught this to 4th graders, and they were fiiiine).
4/3 Panel Discussion: SPACE: In or out of the screen, looking at the choices you have when creating work for live performance. (FREE to all)
4/6 Session 1: Media Design Basics / The Working Environment (sliding scale pricing)
- Basic color principles
- Video basics (including some camera overview and intro to design principles)
- Cables, adapters, and hardware (including introduction to projectors)
- Intro to media servers
- Brief history and examples of “really good design”
4/13 Session 2: Content design and creation (sliding scale pricing)
- Using basic principles learned, how to think about creating content for your performance work.
- Suggested workflow for source creation and integration
- Thinking beyond the camera, and interactivity
4/17 Panel Discussion: Workflow from idea to production: Working with a media designer (FREE to all)
other panelists TBA
4/20 Session 3: Media servers (using primarily Isadora) (sliding scale pricing)
- Types of media/input
- Generators and feedback
- Creating a workflow ready for performance
4/27 Session 4: Projection techniques (sliding scale pricing)
- Surfaces, set, and location considerations (traditional and nontraditional venues)
- Lighting / working with the lighting designer (priorities)
- Designing schematics and prototyping before you get into the venue
5/4 Session 5: Streaming (sliding scale pricing)
- Mixing video and streaming live (sources and workflow)
- Bringing in other streams to your source material (multiple physical locations)
5/8 Discussion: Wrapup, Q&A, and open talk about possibilities, questions, ideas? (FREE to all)